As part of the integrated health model of Tiburcio Vasquez Health Center (TVHC), the Integrated Behavioral Health (IBH) Program provides behavioral health services to pediatric and adult patients currently receiving primary care services at TVHC. The IBH department conducts screening, assessment, brief treatment, and consultative services to patients with mild to moderate mental health symptoms; and providing linkage and referrals to community services as needed. The IBH team work from an interdisciplinary approach and in collaboration with the PCP (Primary Care Provider), Consulting Psychiatrist, and Care Coordinators.
TVHC is committed to strengthening the integration of primary care and SUD-mental health care while reducing barriers to treatment. In addition to performing the general Behavioral Health Specialist duties, the SUD counselor will assist in expanding SUD services. Expansion includes building on TVHC’s partnerships with local specialists and SUD community partners, promoting evidence-based practices, and education of care teams. The position plays a role in creating a strong integrated workflow and building referral sources that advance the integration practice with the primary care provider care team. The Substance Use Counselor will serve as TVHC’s resident expert in SUD. S/he will develop treatment plans with patients, and will deliver brief interventions (some via telehealth; others in 1:1 visits).
The position will focus on coordination, communication, professional trainings, and telehealth capabilities.
• Bilingual in English/Spanish preferred.
• Position requires ability to work independently, organize tasks, problem-solve, make decisions, and handle multiple priorities.
• Position requires significant interpersonal skills with co-workers and with patients and families.
• Knowledge of health information related to children and adults older adults.
• Work as a team member with fellow co-workers, primary care and agency staff.
• Cultural sensitivity and understanding of child and adult issues.
• Must be willing to travel to and from various service sites as needed.
• Ability to work in a fast paced primary care clinic.
• Ability to complete work and articulate provider concerns in a timely and concise manner.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
• Master’s Degree in Social Work or Doctoral Degree in Psychology required.
• California Licensure as an LCSW or Licensed Psychologist required.
• Minimum 2 years of job related experience.
• Previous experience working with the pediatric and adult population within ethnically and culturally diverse families.
• Clinical experience with provision of mental health services in a community based setting.
• Knowledge of and experience working in a primary care facility as a behavioral health specialist preferred.
• Ability to chart using Electronic Health Records, preferred.