Under the direction of the Senior Director of Population Health, the WIC Program Director will be responsible for overall program coordination and accountability for WIC programs administered by Tiburcio Vasquez Health Center, Inc. This individual will also be responsible for efficient and effective operations across all WIC sites; while remaining in compliance with federal and state regulations. The WIC Program Director will participate in the following but not limited to: strategic planning, policy development, problem-solving, personnel management, program budget and special projects. This individual will also provide nutritional assessment, counseling, and education in coordination with other WIC Nutritionist(s), and performs other Nutritionist duties and responsibilities, as needed.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
· Directly supervises all WIC staff and works closely with the Human Resources department to recruit staff for the WIC Program.
· Prepares annual WIC program re-application and other contract amendments and proposals including budgets.
· Develops, implement and maintains policies and procedures to facilitate the program’s compliance with federal and state regulations
· Responsible for cross-referencing shipments of WIC vouchers upon their arrival at WIC site; safeguards and stores vouchers; manages the distribution of vouchers and enrollment of new participants.
· Responsible for overseeing the accurate completion and timely submission of WIC program reports to appropriate sources, including monthly program operations report, monthly transaction report, ethnic report, and program reports to TVHC’s Board of Directors.
· Oversees the development and implementation of outreach programs. Maintains active contact with community agencies and leaders.
· Stays abreast of legislative and other political developments that might affect the WIC program and/or its participants.
· Plan and facilitate WIC staff meetings. Reviews and formulates appropriate program policies and procedures.
· Manages and reviews inventory control for program.
· Reviews and oversees the work of WIC staff who has not received WIC Branch approval as Competent Professional Authorities (CPAs). This includes the review of individual participant certification screens in MIS (statewide integrated Management Information System), as well as other documents to ensure completion of eligibility process and adherence to regulations. Also periodically reviews the work of staff that has been certified as CPAs.
· Oversees the implementation of the Nutrition component of the WIC Program, including nutrition assessment and subsequent education/counseling of pregnant, lactating, postpartum women; infants and children to 5 (five) years of age. Provides direct service to clients (certification, assessment, counseling, education) as needed.
· Supervises, in collaboration with the Registered Dietitian, the WIC Nutrition Assistants (WNAs) to ensure required program objectives are met. Performs duties as RD on an as needed basis.
· Oversees the development and implementation of the Nutrition Education Program and education materials for WIC participants.
· Attend internal and external meetings, conferences, trainings, etc., as appropriate and/or required.
· Works with TVHC Expanded Management Team to integrate WIC services at TVHC support/clinical services.
· Perform all duties and services in full compliance with TVHC’s Service Excellence Standards.
· Perform all other duties as assigned by the Sr. Director of Population Health or designee.
· Superior verbal and written communication skills.
· Strong leadership abilities sufficient to effectively direct WIC staff and to represent TVHC at external functions.
· Bilingual preferred (ideally Spanish/English).
· Knowledge of, competence and experience in program planning, evaluating and budgeting process.
· Experience in directly providing and supervising nutritional services.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
· Registered Dietitian (RD), or equivalent required
· Bachelor’s degree in Nutritional Sciences, Public Health, related field or equivalent in experience required. Masters degree in Nutritional Sciences, Public Health, or related field preferred.
· Requires minimum three years’ experience in management/supervisory position.
· Experience in providing and supervising nutritionist services required.
· Experience with program planning and authority preferred.
· Experience with budget planning and administration strongly preferred.