Tiburcio Vasquez Health Center, Inc. is a non-profit community health center that is dedicated to promoting the health and well-being of our community by providing accessible, high quality care by integrating primary care, dental care, WIC support, mental health counseling, community health education and more.Under the general direction of the WIC Project Director, the Breastfeeding Coordinator is a certified lactation counselor (IBCLC) responsible for the development, coordination, and oversight of the Breastfeeding Counselor Program (BPCP) and other breastfeeding services in the program. The position works collaboratively between multiple programs and departments, both at WIC and across TVHC to promote the importance of breastfeeding newborn children. As the program coordinator, s/he will supervise the WIC Breastfeeding Peer Educator(s) to ensure eligible participants receive counseling and support services in accordance with all program benchmarks and quality standards. The Breastfeeding Coordinator also supervises the use of the web-based Breastfeeding Peer Counselor Database, while serving as the central source for training and coaching on this and all breastfeeding practices for all WIC staff, conducting individual and group trainings as appropriate.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Develops, implements, coordinates, and supervises the day to day operations of the TVHC WIC Breastfeeding Program and the Peer Counselor Program (BPCP). This includes the selection and supervision of all Breastfeeding Peer Educator(s).
2. Develops, implements, and supervises the Peer Counseling Program and peer counselors.
3. Ensures peer counselors conduct timely outreach and follow-up of program clients, documenting all contacts in accordance to protocol using the web-based “Breastfeeding Peer Counselor Database.”
4. Provides on-going staff and group trainings using the WIC Breastfeeding Peer Counselor Training Manual or the USDA’s “Loving Support through Peer Counselor” training curriculum. Provides periodic updates to required trainings and tracks the progress for each staff member as they complete various program related trainings to ensure full program compliance.
5. Performs statistical tracking and reporting of breastfeeding progress within the TVHC WIC Program. Ensures the proper use of the web-based Breastfeeding Peer Counselor Database by staff.
6. Maintains and creatively distributes breastfeeding supplies, incentives, and educational materials to participants and community agencies.
7. Provides new hire training to ensure all peer counselors demonstrate competency in counseling, documentation and referrals. Enforces program standards including the adherence to WIC confidentiality and Employee Security Affidavit (ESA).
8. Coordinates with community agencies to promote breastfeeding. Establishes network of referral agencies to meet the needs of program participants for additional services. Participates in assigned outreach activities establishing community partnerships for the continuum of breastfeeding care and support.
9. Coordinates and Supervises the early contact of postpartum participants regarding breastfeeding in order to problem solve and encourage the continuation thereby increasing the duration of breastfeeding.
10. Conducts weekly continuous quality improvement (CQI) to ensure services are being provided according to program standards.
11. Counsels designated high risk level 1 & 2 and level 3 breastfeeding participants only.
12. Develops class curriculums and teaches WIC participant education classes.
13. Participates in all aspects of Screening, Enrollment, Assessment, Recertification, Education, and Food Instrument Security and Distribution.
14. Participates in program continuing education, in-services, scheduled meetings, or any related educational program.
15. Rotates among TVHC WIC sites as necessary.
16. Adhere to WIC Federal Regulations, WIC State Policy, TVHC Personnel Policy & Procedure, and TVHC WIC Policy & Procedure.
17. Performs all duties and services in full compliance with TVHC’s Service Excellence Standards.
18. Completes assigned tasks related to program day to day operations and performs other duties as assigned by WIC Project Director.