As a WIC Nutrition Assistant (WNA) at Tiburcio Vasquez Health Center, Inc. (TVHC) this position performs a wide variety of duties and responsibilities in a manner that places emphasis on quality of care and customer service. Under the direction of the WIC Program Director and the Supervising RD, the WNA provides nutrition counseling and educational classes to WIC participants, as well as other nutrition education related tasks. The incumbent must work collaboratively with all WIC staff in support of participant services, exhibiting flexibility and a “can do” attitude. Customer service is the key priority in this position requiring the WNA to serve as a point of contact with other internal and external departments, all with the goal of fostering an environment which promotes comfort and trust. The position must exemplify the core values and mission of the organization, always exercising utmost discretion, diplomacy and tact in participant/staff interactions.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Adheres to WIC Federal Regulations, WIC State Policy, TVHC Personnel Policy & Procedure, and TVHC WIC Policy & Procedure.
2. Participates in program continuing education, in-services, scheduled meetings, or any related educational program.
3. Obtains WIC Nutrition Assistant certificate from State and Certified Lactation Certificate (CLC) within specified time frame.
4. Completes assigned tasks related to program day-to-day operations.
5. Rotates among TVHC WIC sites as necessary.
6. Participates in all aspects of Screening, Enrollment, Assessment, Recertification, Education, and Food Instrument Security and Distribution.
7. Participates in outreach activities and community events to promote the knowledge, awareness and access of nutrition services; also promotes breastfeeding among participants and the community at large.
8. Counsels designated high risk under the direction of the Registered Dietician. Teaches all WIC classes.
9. Attends and participates in meetings, related trainings and workshops on behalf of the program as directed.
10. Performs all duties and service in full compliance with TVHC’s Service Excellence Standards.
11. Performs all duties in support of successful EHR/EPM implementation.
12. Performs other duties assigned by Program Director or Supervising Dietitian including but not limited to coordination of the National Voters Registration Act (NVRA) program compliance as stated in the California WIC Program Manual (WPM 700-06)
1. Excellent communication skills at level necessary for understanding and relaying instructions to participants and for accurately documenting participants’ information. Ability to effectively communicate with participants’ population and staff while demonstrating a high degree of diplomacy and tact.
2. Ability to multi-task and work effectively in a high-stress and fast-moving environment.
3. Culturally sensitive and demonstrated ability and effectiveness working with ethnically diverse populations.
4. Ability to learn and understand ISIS Program Application.
1. Competent Professional Authority (CPA) credential or credentialed within a 6 month period.
2. Possess a thorough understanding of the importance of confidentiality and non-disclosure according to the general standards set forth by HIPAA.
3. Bilingual English/Spanish or English/other language strongly preferred.
4. Able to work evenings and/or weekends; demonstrates flexibility in regards to job duties and assignments.
5. Valid California Driver’s License, insurance, and ability to travel as required to perform duties.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
1. College graduate with nutrition related courses/subjects required.
2. Education/training or work experience in computer basics and data entry a must. Competent in word processing programs, i.e. Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.
3. Must complete the WIC Nutritionist Assistant (WNA) Certification training (provided).
4. Effective communication and a one to one counseling situation and group setting.
5. Prior WIC experience preferred.
6. Knowledge, understanding, and sensitivity to multicultural groups, encompassing their socio-economic backgrounds.